Wednesday, February 9, 2011

G'day everyone!!!~~


I guess I should start this blog off by shedding some light on MD, the disorder I’m raising these funds for. So what exactly is Muscular Dystrophy (MD)? How is it acquired and how would it affect the life of a child who has it? How long, or to what age, would they survive?... The answers to these questions are not optimistic.

Muscular Dystrophy is a collective group of neuromuscular diseases that causes progressive and selective degeneration and weakness of voluntary muscles. This means that all the muscles in the body moved directly by thought (limbs, eyelids, lips) weaken over time and waste away as the sufferer gets older. It is genetically inherited and can occur in both children and adults, so even if a person isn’t born with it, there is a chance that the mutations might activate later on in life. There are 9 main types of MD, with different genetic causes, symptoms and quality of life but similar devastating effects. 

I’ll update with the different types in the following few days. Thanks to my dear family and awesum friend Yee Pei for helping me while I panic about how to start this thing. For now, I’ve got to get an diary/accounting book to keep myself or-ji-nized for this project!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.

This is a blog about a challenging mountain trek for charity, loving living life and eating good food.

About Me

My photo
Hello there!
This is my blog for Challenge MD! The Mont Blanc Trekking Challenge 2011! My name's Yvonne from WA, Aust.
I'm doing this trek at Mt Blanc to raise awareness and funds for Muscular Dystrophy sufferers.

But what's my motive?

Bcause I can.

Followers