Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Reaching out even more~

A few days ago I submitted a form to my local animal shelter to be a volunteer!

So I now get to help out at the Animal Protection Society by walking dogs, cleaning the kennels, general housekeeping, and trying to pat the cats. I'm such a slaving petting machine for the cats. They seem to know who's boss - glaring at me when I stop petting and giving me violent slash wounds when I pet them for too long. Stupid human!

But I walked my first 2 dogs today, and got my daily exercise. I'm looking at a endurance training regime online, something more specific and includes things like diet and times for various sporting activities (swimming etc..). Also looking at bushwalking, but that's a rather different sort of thing than trekking, isn't it?

Petting kitty at APS
This is another catergory of Muscular Dystrophy:
Myotonic (MMD or Steinert's disease). The most common form of muscular dystrophy in adults, myotonic muscular dystrophy affects both men and women, and it usually appears any time from early childhood to adulthood. In rare cases, it appears in newborns (congenital MMD). The name refers to a symptom, myotonia - prolonged spasm or stiffening of muscles after use. This symptom is usually worse in cold temperatures. The disease causes muscle weakness and also affects the central nervous system, heart, gastrointestinal tract, eyes, and hormone-producing glands. In most cases, daily living isn't restricted for many years. Sufferers have a decreased life expectancy.
 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002172#adam_001190.disease.causes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger.

This is a blog about a challenging mountain trek for charity, loving living life and eating good food.

About Me

My photo
Hello there!
This is my blog for Challenge MD! The Mont Blanc Trekking Challenge 2011! My name's Yvonne from WA, Aust.
I'm doing this trek at Mt Blanc to raise awareness and funds for Muscular Dystrophy sufferers.

But what's my motive?

Bcause I can.

Followers